Friday, 10 July 2015

I Failed a Lot. So What?!


I’m not 100% free of self-doubt these days , like none of us are, actually ,but  I can honestly say I believe in myself like never before.
Based on my personal standards, I am now and confident  in every major area of my life.I am happy with my decisions and I look forward to every new day.  That doesn’t mean I think I’ll never fail or quit again: I will. Because we all do sometimes.

And that’s OK.

What I learned in turning my life around, however helped me a lot.

The trick is… I learned it’s completely fine to try and fail, to put yourself out there and not be perfect, to say hello to someone and have them not instantly love you, to create something and have people judge you.

Failure, not being perfect, mistakes, not having people agree with me, not being completely accepted: these are not negative things. They’re positive.

How is failure positive? It’s the only way we truly learn. For example: you can read a book on math, but until you try it and fail, you’ll never see where your lack of understanding is. The best way to learn something is to study it a bit, then try it, take practice tests, make mistakes, then learn some more.

How are mistakes positive? They’re little pieces of feedback necessary to grow and learn.

How is being rejected positive? It means I’m growing beyond the absolutely socially acceptable realm. The best people in history were not socially acceptable: truth-tellers like Socrates, Jesus, Gandhi, Proudhon and Bakunin, Martin Luther King Jr., animal rights philosopher Peter Singer, women’s rights activists, abolitionists, and many more.

These things we’re afraid of … they’re actually desirable. We need to learn to see them that way, and embrace them, letting go of the fear.

When we can get better at this  we can start to remove the things that hold us back.




Post a Comment