These days, after such stressful days at work and the Super Moon , I snapped at home and I found myself saying things I wouldn’t normally do. My dear friend, who visited us these days, took me out for a walk and talked to me about this state of mine. “What? I am just a little bit agitated.’’ I said. She smiled and said, “Honey, someday you will think it’s funny that you were so damn nervous today.”
Boy, was she right! Today, the I still catch myself entering a bout of irritability,but I do my best to take a deep breath and let it GO. So, if you feel the same, I encourage you to do the same.
Truth be told, today is the oldest you’ve ever been and the youngest you will ever be again. It’s kind of scary, but it’s true. If there was ever a perfect day to start letting go of the needless drama and stress that’s been holding you back, that day is today. And since we often use our birthdays as mile markers to track our personal growth and accomplishments, I challenge you to this:
Before your next birthday…
2. Let go of the baggage you know you need to leave behind. – As we grow older and wiser, we begin to realize what we need and what we need to leave behind. Sometimes walking away is a step forward.
3. Let go of feeling like you aren’t making progress fast enough. – No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
4. Let go of the idea that you have too much to lose. – In the end, you won’t regret the things you’ve done nearly as much as the things you didn’t do when you had the chance. I’d rather have a life of “OH WELLS” than a life of “WHAT IFS.” Wouldn’t you agree?
5. Let go of worrying about everyone else’s opinions of your life. – When writing the story of your life, don’t let someone else hold the pen.
6. Let go of your tendency to avoid problems. – You cannot change what you refuse to confront.
7. Let go of all your empty complaints. – If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
8. Let go of the excuses. – If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.
9. Let go of lazy attitudes and routines. – You can’t underestimate a person who always works hard. Be that person. In life, you don’t get what you wish for; you get what you work for.
10. Let go of the idea that it’s too late to start over again. – Remember, it’s always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don’t.
And if your birthday is tomorrow, or next week, pick one point to work on now, and then make it a goal to complete the list by your next birthday.